The Calvary Church building was completed in 1989 and is actually the fifth facility the Calvary congregation has occupied since 1939.
Situated on 100 acres in south Charlotte, the architectural design was envisioned as a "modern cathedral" to house Calvary's sizeable and growing congregation, plus its many local, regional, and international ministries. At the time it was built, the look of the building was breathtakingly innovative. Big, pink, and shaped like a crown, Calvary Church — by design — made a statement and could not be overlooked!
Today, Calvary's building is a highly visible site attracting visitors from across the nation. It remains home to a vital, growing, relevant, and active congregation that seeks to reach the world for Christ. Its 310,000 square feet of space is continually packed with ministry activity. An additional 51,000 was added with the Calvary Life Center in 2012 to accommodate the growth of the church's ministry.
It's important to remember that despite its physical size, the true building blocks of Calvary are the small groups of people and the intimate relationships that are built throughout the church in every ministry. Calvary is really the biggest small church around!
Campus quick facts >Virtual Tour
The Calvary Sanctuary seats 5106, and the Chapel seats 350.
The Calvary Grand Organ, built by M.P. Möller and dedicated in 1990, is history's fourth largest pipe organ built at one time. It remains one of the largest pipe organs in the world, with 11,499 pipes.
The Crown Room, a multipurpose meeting and banquet space on the third floor seats 1000.
The Calvary Life Center opened in November 2012, with 51,000 square feet of auditorium and classroom space, as well as a full-sized gym to facilitate the needs of our growing Children's and Student Ministries and CHAMP Sports Outreach.
Calvary's education wing provides 80 classrooms for children and adults, playgrounds, and a mini gym.
Calvary's two commercial kitchens supply meals for the CCDC, events, banquets, and weddings. A small fellowship kitchen provides support for catered events and "covered dish" gatherings.
Throughout the week, the Calvary Café offers a comfortable gathering spot for casual conversation, snacks and coffee from the vending pantry, and easy WIFI access. On Sundays, guests are invited to the Café for refreshments after the service.
The Word Room bookstore, located in the Galleria, offers Bibles and Christian books for children and adults.
Magnolia Memorial Gardens is Calvary's six-acre cemetery, serving our congregation.
Calvary's CHAMP Sports Outreach maintains 12 acres of athletic fields for soccer, baseball, and flag football plus a full-sized gymnasium for basketball, volleyball, and adult fitness programs that reach out to our community. Learn more at www.champsportsinfo.com
In 2008, as part of regular maintenance, the exterior of the building was recoated with more contemporary sandstone shades, covering the original "adobe" pink. In selecting both exterior and interior coatings over the years, great care has been taken to select color palettes that coordinate with the original marble trim and interior decor.